Okay, so if you know me at all, you know that my old 4th gen 20G iPod is like a good friend that I jam into my ears and listen to. I've had it for about two years now, and it's been a very good iPod. Lauren got hers around the same time and it crashed twice, Chris dropped his in a puddle, so by comparison mine has been pretty good.
Now, after I left Adams, I left a good chunk of songs on my computer there, and chalked it up to the fact I was too lazy to burn them because I had them on my iPod. So a few weeks ago, I thought I would remove them from my iPod onto my itunes, you know, just in case something were to happen to my iPod. So, I plug 'er into my laptop and wait. And wait and wait. iTunes is not recognizing my iPod. I got annoyed and realized I was about 78 updates behind, and that iTunes 7 was ready for downloading. So I did. I downloaded and downloaded, and Installer kept screaming, "CORRUPTION, UNABLE TO CONTINUE INSTALLER!"
"Rar!" I said. And then I forgot about it. I should mention here that my iPod was not holding a charge. A 4th gen should hold a charge on a full battery for 12 hours. I was lucky if it made it to two hours. So, I made an appointment at the PVD Apple store to get it looked it.
Long story short, they couldn't fix the poor battery at the store, and if they did, it would cost almost as much as a new iPod. I got frustrated and called Pete. Pete is TDos's best friend and roommate, and happens to work for Apple. He recommended that I ask about refreshed iPods. The clerk looked peeved when I suggested that, like it was something they had but wouldn't bring up unless directly asked. But he got me one. A refreshed iPod is an iPod that the store puts out as a floor model. It's a perfectly fine iPod, but because it's handled and molested by patrons, Apple reduces the price. So I told the Apple guy that I wanted a 30G black video refreshed one. He asked me who I was talking to on the phone and I told him Pete. Well, that was a horse of a different color, so I got an additional 10% off. Yay! I got, like, a three hundred dollar ipod for close to $200. Yay!
No yay for long. I went home and plugged it in, expecting itunes to shut its stupid mouth and open up. It didn't. So I spent like, three hours on the instant message tech support with Gateway trying to figure out why my computer wouldn't let me freaking download iTunes. So, the tech guy tried to figure it out, couldn't, then decided to try and sell me something instead. I cut that off at the pass and called Apple. The goofy girl I talked to told me to shut down norton anti-virus and try downloading it again. Stee-rike three.
Even longer story short, I have a beautiful new iPod thatI can't do anything with, and a laptop that won't let me download iTunes. So my dad goes, "Jesus, just buy a Mac."
So, I am going to buy a freaking iMac for $899, but until I freaking do that, my beautiful black 30G iPod video is going to collect dust. DAMN TECHNOLOGY. I can't exactly go out and buy a new mac, especially since I just blew two hundred clams on a new iPod. Plus Christmas is coming up and I cannot in good conscience spend that kind of money on myself, only to turn to my family and friends at Christmas and tell them I couldn't afford gifts for them. That would be teh lame. So I'm at a crossroads.
I have no problem using my old iPod until I can afford a Mac, but I'm super impatient. Super duper impatient, especially when I have a new toy to play with. My mum sat here for like twenty minutes while I was on the line with tech people playing Pong on the 30G, screaming, "THIS THING IS GREAT!"
I KNOW IT IS. GAH!
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment